Istanbul is not only a city that never sleeps, but also a city that will never bore you. There is always something to do. Everyday you have the possibility to discover new corners of the biggest city of Europe. There is still so much on my bucket list that I want to accomplish during my year abroad in Istanbul. Here are the 50 things you have to do in Istanbul!
1. Ride the ferry across the Bosporus.
2. Drink Turkish tea (called cay).
3. Admire the Blue Mosque.
4. Explore the buzzing district of Kadiköy.
5. Play with the cats that you see everywhere.
6. Visit the beautiful Hagia Sophia.
7. Eat lots and lots of Turkish Delight (called lokum).
8. Ride the cable car to the Pierre Loti hill.
9. Talk to some locals.
10. Have a walk along the Bosporus.
11. Visit the Süleymaniye Mosque, the largest mosque of Istanbul.
12. Do a day trip to the Princes’ Islands.
13. Eat the colorful Macun (traditional candy on a stick).
14. Have a cocktail with a view on a roof top bar.
15. Watch the fishermen on Galata Bridge.
16. Stroll in Gülhane Park.
17. Drink some Ayran (a yogurt beverage mixed with salt).
18. Enjoy art at the Istanbul modern (free admission on Thursdays!).
19. Go shopping in the Cevahir Shopping Mall.
20. Get lost in the Grand Bazaar.
21. See a show of the whirling dervishes.
22. Explore the Rumelhisari fortress.
23. Have a Turkish night out.
24. Eat some (or a lot of) Baklava.
25. Watch the sunset from the Galata Tower.
26. Have a spa day in a traditional Hamam.
27. Visit the Maiden’s Tower (called Kiz Kulesi).
28. Eat Kumpir (a huge potato with toppings).
29. Smoke a hookah.
30. Listen to the call of prayer between Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque.
31. Listen to Turkish live music in a café.
32. Have Turkish breakfast all day long.
33. Explore the city by night.
34. Visit the Dolmabahce Palace.
35. Smell exotic spices and teas at the Egyptian market.
36. Ride the Tünel (the world’s second oldest underground metro).
37. Have a Turkish coffee break.
38. Drink fresh pressed pomegranate juice.
39. Go under the ground to the Basilica Cistern.
40. Explore the trendy neighborhood of Cihangir.
41. Educate yourself at the Istanbul Archaeology Museum.
42. Visit the stunning Topkapi Palace.
43. Bargain in the markets.
44. Eat Turkish ice cream.
45. Mingle at Ortaköy square.
46. Take a break from the hustle and bustle in Yildiz Park.
47. Ride the famous red tramway in Beyoglu.
48. Eat a simit (a bread ring with sesame).
49. Visit a local market (called pazar).
50. Simply get lost! Istanbul is full of surprises.
Have you been to Istanbul? What have you experienced?